To simplify your holiday entertaining this season, serve cheese as your signature dish at parties and potlucks. Isabel Maples from the Mid-Atlantic Dairy Association shares a few ideas.
Festive Cheddar Tree
Makes 1 cheese tree - 40 servings
- 5 (8-ounce) packages of Cabot Cheddar, assorted flavors
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Grape or cherry tomatoes and/or olives
- 1 mushroom
- Cut cheese into 1-inch cubes
- On large platter or cutting board, arrange cubes in rows to form tree shape, using a different cheese flavor or color for each row. Separate flavors with thyme sprigs and rows of tomatoes or olives.
- For star on top, peel skin from mushroom; press star pattern into mushroom with point of knife.
Makes 10 servings
Serving a sampling of cheeses is sure to please your guests, as people can compare and contrast flavors or just pick what they like. A cheese board is a step above the 'cheese and crackers' mentality but can be practically as easy to prepare with this step-by-step guide.
1. Serve 3 to 5 cheeses. That offers variety without being overwhelming.
2. Vary the cheeses, either by appearance (light to dark), texture (soft to hard) or flavor (mild to bold). Relax; you can hardly go wrong with whatever you select.
3. Using a colorful serving platter, cutting board, or marble slab can offer visual contrast and make your cheese selection look more inviting.
- Pick one cheese from 3-5 of the following categories:
Offer one or more other foods for guests to enjoy with the cheese:
Cheese Course Almonds
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups blanched whole almonds
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
Directions for nuts
- Combine curry, sugar, garlic powder, ground ginger and ground red pepper in a bowl.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add almonds and stir, coating with butter. Sauté 4 to 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add spice mixture and stir. Cook until spices are fragrant and nuts are golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add orange juice and cook until almonds are dry, about 3 minutes.
- Toss with salt and spread on a lined baking sheet to cool completely.
Directions for cheese board
- Arrange cheeses on one or more platters, leaving enough room around each one to cut. (Consider a separate dish for strongly flavored cheeses, like washed rind or blue cheeses.)
- Arrange Cheese Course Almonds, fresh fruit, preserved fruit and bread on the same or separate platter.
- Cover platter loosely and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Thirty minutes to 1 hour before serving, remove cheese platter(s) from refrigerator to bring them to room temperature.
- Serve each cheese with its own knife to avoid mixing flavors.
Savory Italian Cheese Ball
Makes 25-30 servings
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Asiago cheese
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) shredded Fontina cheese
- 1 tablespoon shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut in chunks and at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons prepared, refrigerated basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half, if needed
- 1/4 cup marinated, sun-dried tomatoes, diced and dried well
- Fresh basil, for garnish, if desired
- Sun-dried tomatoes, slivered, for garnish, if desired
- Crusty bread, Italian breadsticks, or crostini crackers
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Spread the pine nuts on a baking sheet and toast for 3-5 minutes or until golden. (Stir and check on them after 3 minutes.) Pour onto waxed paper and cool.
- Place the four cheeses into the bowl of a food processor, and process until well-blended.
- Add the pesto (drain first if the pesto is runny).
- Pulse to incorporate. If the mixture is too stiff, add half-and-half to reach the desired consistency.
- Remove the mixture to a bowl and stir or work in the tomatoes with your hands.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to serve, shape the cheese mixture into a ball (or star or tree). Roll the ball in the toasted pine nuts, pushing the nuts into the ball, if necessary. Garnish with fresh basil and slivers of sun-dried tomatoes.