When it's too hot to heat up the kitchen, fire up the grill instead and make this Grilled Summer Pizza faster than you can get delivery. Add your favorite summer toppings like vine-ripened tomatoes and fresh herbs.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 pound homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1. Prepare medium-hot fire on one half of charcoal grill or preheat one side of gas grill to high, leaving other side unlit (if gas grill has only one burner, preheat to high and lower heat to cook second side.)
2. Remove core from tomatoes; cut in half crosswise and gently squeeze out as many seeds and juice as will come out easily. Cut into thin slices.
3. Divide pizza dough into 4 equal balls; on floured work surface, roll/stretch each ball out into approximate 6-inch circle. Bring dough and toppings to grill.
4. Place two dough circles on heated side of grill; when dough is puffed and browned on underside, about 2 minutes, turn over with tongs and cook until second side is lightly colored, about 1 minute longer.
5. Remove crusts from grill. Drizzle each with some of oil. Cover with half of tomato slices and season with salt and pepper. Top with half of cheese and scatter half of thyme leaves on top. Return to unheated side of grill (or reduce heat on one-burner gas grill to very low). Cover grill and cook pizzas until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes. Slide pizzas back over heat or increase heat if crust needs additional crisping on bottom.
6. Use tongs to slide pizzas onto serving plate or cutting board. Repeat with remaining dough circles and toppings.
Nutrition Analysis: Calories 347, Total Fat 27g, Saturated Fat 12g, Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 485mg, Carbohydrates 12g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 16g, Calcium 420mg