A four-year-old boy died Monday night after he started a fire in a Chambersburg home while playing with a cigarette lighter, according to investigators.
Chambersburg Fire Chief Bill Fitzgerald said the boy was pulled from the burning home on Ashley Drive at around 9 p.m. Firefighters and EMS crews tried to revive him, but it was too late.
"The squad crew and the engine crew did a quick search of the second floor and located a young child, a male child," Fitzgerald told abc27 News. "They removed the child out to the front yard and initial life savings efforts were begun.
Franklin County Coroner Jeffrey Conner later identified the boy as Julius M. Coachman. An autopsy was scheduled for Thursday morning.
Fitzgerald said the boy started the blaze in his bedroom.
"The smoke detector in that particular room, the room of origin, was removed and there was not a smoke detector in that room," he said. "There were smoke detectors on the second floor of the home that were sounding in different rooms."
The boy's aunt was taken to a hospital. Her family said she rented the town house and lived there with Julius and his eight cousins.
Dan Sligh and his wife were in their pickup truck on Interstate 5 heading to a camping trip when a bridge before them disappeared in a "big puff of dust."More >>
The trucker was hauling drilling equipment when his load bumped against the steel framework over an Interstate 5 bridge. He looked in his rearview mirror and watched in horror as the span collapsed into the water behind him....More >>