A 21-year-old man was injured when vapors in a metal drum exploded at a York County business this morning.
State police said Aaron Baer, of Freeland, Md., was using a cutting torch to remove the lid of the 55-gallon drum in the parking lot of Southern Turf and Tractor, at 250 N. Main Street in Shrewsbury.
Police said Baer had not removed the drum plugs and thought the drum was empty, but unknown vapors in the drum ignited.
Baer was taken to York Hospital with what was described as first-degree burns to his face, chest, and arm, police said.
The lid blew off the drum and struck the building, but the business had no fire damage.
A small fire inside the drum and on the ground around the drum was extinguished by an employee with a fire extinguisher, police said.