Think you're too busy to make homemade Baked Ziti? Not if you make this easy and delicious slow cooker version from the Crockin' Girls.
Cooking Time: 4 hr 10 min
1 1/4 pounds Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
2 egg whites
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 (26-ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
1 (16-ounce) box ziti pasta (uncooked, rinsed and drained)
1/4 teaspoon chopped parsley
1. Coat a 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, onion, and garlic 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned; drain and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg whites, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and oregano; mix well.
4. In the slow cooker, layer 2 cups sauce, half the sausage mixture, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, half the ziti, and half the ricotta mixture; repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese and parsley on top.
5. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours, or until pasta is tender.
© 2012 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.