Quantcast

One student remains hospitalized after classroom fire - abc27 WHTM

One student remains hospitalized after classroom fire

Posted: Updated:
CARLISLE, Pa. (WHTM) -

A so-called "fire ball" in a classroom at Wilson Middle School in Carlisle sent several students to two separate hospitals. Two of the injured were flown to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

According to a hospital spokesperson, one student was released from Johns Hopkins Wednesday evening. However, one was admitted to the children's hospital there. As of late Wednesday night, the student was listed in fair condition.

The hospital spokesperson did not divulge the severity of the students' injuries.

Officials said a total of five students were burned in a science lab fire at the school around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Two students and one teacher suffered from smoke inhalation.

Superintendent John Friend said there will be counselors available for students. The school will operate as normal Thursday. 

Friend said they are still not sure what chemicals caused the fire, but said a "fire ball" occurred when they were mixed together. The science teacher put the fire out with an extinguisher.

He was later checked out at Carlisle Regional Medical Center. He has been teaching at Wilson for three years. Students injured by the fire received initial treatment from nurses and paramedics before being taken to the hospital.

School officials are calling the incident a fire; however, abc27 spoke to a student who said he heard a popping noise followed by students running out of the classroom. He said some students did not have shirts on because they had been burned.

The Cumberland County Department of Public Safety said the incident has "no relationship to the bomb threats at the Carlisle High School on Tuesday." 

Following the fire, the eighth grade wing was evacuated, officials said.

Friend said that while there does not appear to be severe damage to the classroom, it will be closed for a while.

Twenty-five students were in the eighth grade science class when the fire broke out. 

Powered by WorldNow