A Cumberland County firefighter who was working to put out a house fire was taken to the hospital Tuesday night after he had trouble breathing.
The fire started just before 7 p.m. on the 900 block of Thornwood Lane in Carlisle. When firefighters got there, flames were shooting out of some of the windows and the roof.
Two people lived in the home, but were not there at the time. The family dog was killed.
The firefighter was taken to Holy Spirit Hospital.
The chief of the Union Fire Company says the fire was accidental and started in the kitchen.