Fire damages North York social club - abc27 WHTM

York County

Fire damages North York social club

Posted: Updated:

Fire damaged a social club for firefighters in North York this morning.

The fire at the Liberty Social Club on George Street started at around 8 a.m.

The building is closed for repairs and the club was empty when the fire began.

York Fire Chief David Michaels said the club's automatic sprinkler system kicked in soon after flames started in the bar area.

"It definitely held the fire to a small area of the bar and without it, the fire would have continued to grow and would have consumed this entire building," Michaels said.

Michaels said the fire was caused by smoking material in a trash can and was ruled accidental.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.

No firefighters were injured were battling the flames.

Powered by WorldNow