A 4-year-old boy playing with a cigarette lighter caused a fire that displaced two families in Lemoyne early Friday, according to investigators.
Chief Tim Mulhollan of the West Shore Bureau of Fire said the boy set fire to a mattress in a second-floor bedroom.
Both families were forced out of the home in the 200 block of Bosler Avenue when the fire started shortly before 3 a.m.
Officials said the 4-year-old boy alerted his family to the flames. They were then able to alert their neighbors.
They said it was difficult to fight the fire because the wind fanned
the flames. At one point, all firefighters were ordered to leave the
building for their safety.
The second floor is a total loss. The first floor has mostly smoke and water damage.
3235 Hoffman Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, Worldnow and WHTM. All Rights Reserved.