The NCAA says it is disappointed that Governor Tom Corbett has filed a federal lawsuit which seeks to throw out sanctions against Penn State University.
Donald Remy, the NCAA's executive vice president and general counsel, said in a statement Wednesday that the lawsuit appears to be without merit and is an affront to all victims of Jerry Sandusky.
"While the innocence that was stolen can never be restored, Penn State has accepted the consequences for its role and the role of its employees and is moving forward," Remy said. "Today's announcement by the governor is a setback to the university's efforts."
Corbett called the sanctions "overreaching and unlawful" and said they threaten to have a devastating, long-lasting and irreparable effect on the state, its citizens and its economy.
He is asking the U.S. District Court in Harrisburg to throw out all of the sanctions and to declare the consent agreement between the NCAA and Penn State illegal.
A Penn State spokesman said the university is not a party to the lawsuit and was not involved in its preparation or filing.
The sanctions imposed last year included a $60 million fine to finance child abuse prevention grants, a four-year bowl game ban for the football program, reduced football scholarships and the forfeiture of 112 wins.
Sandusky, a retired Penn State assistant football coach, was found guilty of sexually abusing boys in June and is serving 30 to 60 years in prison.