Chef Sharon Prudhomme of Prudhomme's Lost Cajun Kitchen in Columbia shares a quick and easy recipe for Low Fat Honey Mustard Chicken.
What You'll Need:
*Double up on veggies to add non-fat bulk to meals
- Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless, cut into strips (1 per person)
- 1/2 cup diced onions, red or white, diced
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers, red, green or yellow
- 4-5 sliced mushrooms
- 1/8 tsp. thyme
- 1/8 tsp. basil
- 1/8 tsp. each red, white & black pepper, mixed
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 Tbls. honey
- 2-3 Tbls. mustard, yellow or any you may have on hand
- 1-2 tsp. corn starch, mixed w/ small amount water to Elmer's glue-like consistency
- Oil or cooking spray to prevent sticking
What To Do:
1. Mix all seasonings together in small bowl. Set 1 Tbls. aside. Place chicken in bowl and toss to coat.
2. Spray or coat skillet with oil to prevent sticking.
3. Add veggies & 1 Tbls. seasoning. Toss 2-3 minutes.
4. Add chicken and brown. Test for doneness and remove to plate.
5. When onions are clarified & begin to caramelize, add honey & mustard, stirring to melt and combine – will be thin.
6. Mix cornstarch and slowly drizzle about 1 tsp. into pan and stir completely till mixture thickens.
7. Pour over chicken and enjoy.