Investigators have confirmed that the fire at the Rodeway Inn in York was a case of arson. Police have a suspect in custody.
Lt. Tim Utley identified that suspect as 35-year-old Wayne Taylor of no fixed address. Utley said Taylor admitted to lighting a bed on fire with a cigarette lighter. He was arraigned Saturday night on one count of arson and 22 counts of reckless endangerment.
Crews were called to a two-alarm fire at the inn on North George Street around 9:45 a.m.
As many as 60 people were relocated to the Elks Lodge, also on North George Street. Fire crews had the blaze under control by 11:30 a.m.
Police confirmed that the fire was started in room 314, where Taylor had been staying.
The Deputy Fire Chief said some hotel guests on the third floor were getting ready to drop their children over the railing to be caught by people below, but fire crews advised against it.
EMS crews reported two people were taken to the hospital for minor injuries.
North George Street was shut down between West Gas and West Gay Avenues while crews fought the fire.
Police are also looking into whether or not the inn had working smoke alarms. Utley said damage is estimated at around $750,000.