• Virginia falls to 20-9, 10-6 ACC and 3-8 away from John Paul Jones Arena
• The Cavaliers are 1-1 this season and 9-7 all-time vs. Boston College
• Virginia has held its ACC opponents under 60 points in 12 of 16 games
BOSTON (AP) -- Joe Rahon scored 15 points, hitting the game-winning 3-pointer as he was fouled with 8.2 seconds left to give Boston College a 53-52 victory over Virginia on Sunday.
Ryan Anderson added eight points and nine rebounds for BC (13-16, 5-11 Atlantic Coast Conference), which trailed most of the second half. Akil Mitchell scored 16 points with eight rebounds for Virginia (20-9, 10-6).
It was the second time in two weeks that BC has beaten a team coming off a victory over Duke.
BC trailed by five points with 1:38 left before Eddie Odio blocked Joe Harris' jumper and Olivier Hanlan got free for a fast break. Harris made one of two free throws, then BC set up for the winning shot, which swished through as Rahon was knocked to the floor.
Rahon missed the free throw and Virginia's Jontel Evans brought the ball the length of the court before stepping out of bounds on the baseline. With 0.4 seconds left, Mitchell stole the inbounds pass, took one dribble and fired up a shot -- too late -- from beyond the half-court line that went in.
• Akil Mitchell (16 points) led Virginia in scoring for the sixth time
• Mitchell scored in double figures for the 22nd time this season
• Mitchell has led Virginia in rebounding in 22 games
• Joe Harris (14 pts) scored in double figures for the 26th time this season
• Taylor Barnette (3 pts) is now 10-of-14 (.714) from 3-point range in ACC play
Career Records Watch
• Joe Harris (1,184) moved into 33rd place on Virginia's all-time scoring list, passing Joe Noertker (1,177, 1947-50) and Mike Katos (1,178, 1966-68)