If you're craving a true southern staple like fried chicken but you don't want to feel guilty afterwards, then Chef Art Smith has the perfect solution: Southern Unfried Fried Chicken. Packed with tons of flavor and crunch, you won't even miss the real thing!
Serves: 4 to 6
Chilling Time: 1 hr 30 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
What You'll Need:
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon Louisiana hot sauce
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally
1 1/2 cups whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
What To Do:
1. In a large bowl, combine buttermilk and hot sauce. Submerge chicken breasts in marinade and allow to soak at least 1 hour (up to 24 hours).
2. While chicken is marinating, in a large resealable plastic bag, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, ground red pepper, paprika, and salt, if desired. Shake to blend.
3. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Using tongs, remove chicken from marinade and place in bag with bread crumb mixture. Shake well, until chicken is evenly coated with bread crumbs. Place on prepared baking sheet and chill uncovered in refrigerator 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat each chicken breast with cooking spray.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until no pink remains.
© 2013 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.