Nothing that comes out of a box will compare to the Mr. Food Test Kitchen's comforting recipe for Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese. The little bit of extra effort to do it ourselves will reap such a big pay-off -- it's worth every moment!
Cooking Time: 50 min
What You'll Need:
1 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups milk
4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a large pot, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain, return macaroni to pot, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add flour, salt, and pepper; mix well. Gradually add milk, bring to a boil, and cook until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese and continue stirring until melted.
3. Add three-quarters of cheese sauce to macaroni; mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and pour remaining cheese sauce evenly over top.
4. In a microwaveable bowl, melt remaining butter in microwave. Stir in crushed crackers; mix until crumbs are evenly coated. Sprinkle evenly over top of macaroni.
5. Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.
© 2013 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.