Quantcast

Updated: electrical issue blamed for duplex fire - abc27 WHTM

Lebanon County

Updated: electrical issue blamed for duplex fire that displaced 22

Posted: Updated:
LEBANON, Pa. (WHTM) -

Nearly two dozen people were forced out of five homes late Thursday night after a fire ripped through two duplexes in North Cornwall Township.

It started just before 11 p.m. on the 1700 block of Center Street.

The fire chief said it started in the living room of one duplex and spread next door. He told abc27 News on Friday that the preliminary cause appears to be electrical in nature. The state police fire marshal's investigation continues.

Twenty-two people are out of their homes. Two residents were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

"My thoughts and prayers go out to them," next door neighbor Sally Kidhorn said.

Neighbors said they were in shock, but grateful no one was seriously injured.

"It was just flaring," neighbor Jewel Fessler said. "It was just amazing how the flames were shooting up and out and it was scary because these are all row homes and they are older homes."

The fire chief said a dog inside the home where the fire started did not make it out. Another homeowner's cat is still missing.

Powered by WorldNow