If you're wild for Tex-Mex, you'll love this recipe for Fresh Tomato Salsa from Channels Food Rescue.
Yield: 8 fl. oz.
1/8 oz. serrano chile, minced
1 oz. fine-chopped white onion, chopped fine
1/8 oz. minced garlic
salt to taste
6 oz. chopped vine-ripe tomato
1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1. Place chopped chiles, onions, and other aromatic vegetables in a mortar or heavy bowl and add approximately half of the salt.
2. Using a pestle, potato masher, or mallet, pound the aromatics into a rough paste.
3. Add the tomatoes (or other main ingredient vegetable or fruit) to the aromatics paste and pound or grind into a rough purée.
4. Taste and correct the salt.
5. Balance the acidity with citrus juice if needed.
6. Stir in chopped fresh herbs.
Holding: Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 8 hours.
Recipe Developed by Jackie Pestka