Eleven people are out of a home after an apartment fire in Cumberland County.
It happened around 6:45 p.m. Saturday on the 200 block of South 18th Street in Camp Hill. It is a four-apartment building. The fire happened in second-floor apartment on the right-hand side.
Christopher Ellis and his family lived in that apartment. The fire started right after Ellis and his mother left the apartment in their van. They knew something was wrong when they smelled the smoke.
"It was coming from the air conditioner," said Ellis. He has some junior fire fighter training under his belt, so he immediately went into rescue mode.
"I threw the van in park, jumped out, ran inside, knocked on every door. Tried to get everybody out and the animals," said Ellis. "I remember all the instincts. Grab the fire extinguisher, I sprayed at it but it didn't go out. Once everybody was out the building, I was happy."
When the uniformed firefighters arrived, they saw smoke and flames pouring out of the apartment. Firefighters extinguished the flames quickly, but the damage was already done.
No one was hurt. As for the animals, they were treated for smoke inhalation.
Despite the charred, black apartment, Ellis saw the silver lining.
"Just glad everybody's okay," said Ellis.
The victims are being helped by the Red Cross.
Firefighters said the preliminary cause appears accidental, but have not given any further details.