Enjoy this recipe for Amaretto Custard Berry Parfait from D&S Produce at the West Shore Farmer's Market.
Yields: 4 Parfaits
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 ¾ cups of 2% milk
4 egg yolks, beaten
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon Amaretto
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh strawberries – sliced
1 cup fresh raspberries
For variety, use other fruits (blueberries, peaches, or blackberries) in place of the raspberries and strawberries.
Directions for Custard
1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir continuously over medium heat until it is thicken.
2. Reduce heat and continue to cook and stir for 2 additional minutes.
3. Remove the mixture from heat. Stir a small amount of it into the beaten egg yolks. Return all to the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes longer.
4. Remove from heat and stir in butter, Amaretto, and vanilla extract.
5. Cool to room temperature
6. Transfer custard into a bowl and press wax paper onto the surface. Refrigerate until custard is chilled.
1. Spoon ¼ cup of strawberries into each of the four parfait glasses. Layer each with 1/3 cup of custard. Next add ¼ raspberries on top of the custard and then another 1/3 cup of custard. Sprinkle fruit on top.