Fayetteville firefighters responding to a call in Fayetteville Thursday morning found four small surprises.
The fire, at 44 Shadow Lane, Greene Township, was called in around 10:45 a.m., when owners of the hay storage barn smelled something burning and found several square bales of hay were smoldering inside the barn.
The fire department arrived on scene and was able to safely remove a total of 39 hay bales that were damaged.
While volunteer firefighter, Marshall Shaffer was helping remove the hay bales, he uncovered four surprises.
Shaffer saw four newborn kittens under the hay bale, he quickly reacted and moved the bale out of the road to rescue them.
As Shaffer brought the kittens to safety their mother watched closely.
Crews say the hay storage barn was not damaged during the fire but they can not estimate the monetary damage of the hay bales.