DA: Suspect shot himself during bank robbery chase - abc27 WHTM

DA: Suspect shot himself during bank robbery chase

Posted: Updated:
Dakin Burgess Dakin Burgess

A bank robbery suspect who shot two state troopers during a chase through Franklin and Cumberland counties died after shooting himself, according to the investigators.

Dakin Burgess, 37, of Pittsburgh, died from a single self-inflicted gunshot to the head, Cumberland County Coroner Charley Hall said after an autopsy Tuesday.

Hall said Burgess was also shot in his left leg during a shootout with state troopers, and he had numerous injuries from crashing his minivan during the pursuit.

Cumberland County District Attorney Dave Freed also released new information on Burgess, who was wanted for robbing an M&T bank on Lincoln Way East near Chambersburg shortly before 5 p.m. Monday.

Freed said at a news conference Tuesday that Burgess was armed with a handgun during the robbery, and disguised his face with a stocking that had a mustache and glasses painted on it.

He got away with about $12,000 and fled in a black minivan that was spotted by a trooper on Route 997. Burgess stopped for the trooper on Interstate 81 northbound near mile marker 22, but exited his vehicle and fired several shots at the trooper's car, Freed said.

Several bullets hit the police car and the trooper was struck in the foot, but continued to pursue Burgess until he lost contact with the minivan because of a flat tire, authorities said.

Burgess fled to the Shippensburg area and tried to hide with the minivan in a cornfield near Ott and Clouse roads, but fled when a police helicopter spotted him. The pursuit began again with several shots fired at pursuing troopers, according to Freed.

At one point, he got into a shootout with two troopers and shot one of them in the upper right shoulder, Freed said.

The wounded trooper chased Burgess for about 2.6 miles before stopping his pursuit because of his gunshot wound, the district attorney said.

After a trooper rammed the minivan, Freed said Burgess went out of control and crashed into a tree in the 400 block of Roxbury Road, near the intersection of Middle Road.

Burgess was found dead in his van, along with physical evidence from the robbery and the stolen money, he said.

Authorities said one trooper underwent surgery at Chambersburg Hospital and was reported in good condition.

The trooper shot in the shoulder was transported to Penn State Hershey Medical Center and admitted.

Freed said Burgess was a convicted felon with multiple drug convictions and was not permitted to have a gun.

Police described him as a desperate man who tried to engage troopers in violence.

"You can use the term desperate, you can use motivated, fixated," State Police Captain Steve Junkin said. "He had a clear desire to get away and to do anything he could to do that, whether that was going to be taking the life of anybody including armed troopers, police officers, sheriffs, he was going to do it."

Authorities believe that Burgess was also involved in a bomb threat Friday afternoon at the Growing Tree Preschool in Marion, where a caller stated that a device would go off as children were being dismissed.

A suspicious device was found outside the preschool about five miles south of Chambersburg after seven children and three adults were evacuated. Experts later determined it was not an explosive.

Freed said evidence found inside his minivan linked Burgess to the bomb threat.


Powered by WorldNow