Quantcast

3 sickened by CO fumes at Bendersville orchard - abc27 WHTM

3 sickened by CO fumes at Bendersville orchard

Posted: Updated:
BENDERSVILLE, Pa. (WHTM) -

Three people were flown to a hospital Wednesday afternoon after they fell ill to carbon monoxide fumes at an orchard near Bendersville, Adams County.

Fire officials told abc27 News that the men were very ill but conscious when they flown to The Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. Their conditions were not immediately known.

The three were inside a garage at the orchard at 113 West Point Road in Menallen Township when they were overcome by the fumes at around 3:40 p.m.

One of them called 911 and responding firefighters found one man outside the garage and rescued two others who were too ill to get themselves out of the building.

The source of the fumes was a tractor that was left running in the garage. Officials said a garage door was open, but apparently did not provide enough ventilation.

One fire official said the carbon monoxide level in the garage was about 500 parts-per-million. The official said normal levels are 5-15 parts-per-million, and anything over 30 parts-per-million is a problem.

 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Father, son among 12 charged for bath salts

    Father, son among 12 charged for bath salts

    Friday, August 8 2014 5:25 PM EDT2014-08-08 21:25:32 GMT
    Prosecutors have announced charges against 12 people, including a man and his son, for allegedly selling bath salts and other illegal drugs in Lebanon County.More >>
    Prosecutors have announced charges against 12 people, including a man and his son, for allegedly selling bath salts and other illegal drugs in Lebanon County.
    More >>
  • Coroner: Starvation contributed to death of Harrisburg boy, 9

    Coroner: Starvation contributed to death of Harrisburg boy, 9

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-08-19 19:19:58 GMT
    The Dauphin County coroner says starvation and dehydration contributed to the death of a 9-year-old Harrisburg boy.More >>
    The Dauphin County coroner says starvation and dehydration contributed to the death of a 9-year-old Harrisburg boy.More >>
  • Police: Family, pets were living in squalor

    Police: Family, pets were living in squalor

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 5:07 PM EDT2014-08-19 21:07:18 GMT
    "How do you feel when you see the kitties in there?" we asked a curious young girl peering into the side window of the trailer across the street from hers.More >>
    "How do you feel when you see the kitties in there?" we asked a curious young girl peering into the side window of the trailer across the street from hers.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow