The governing body of college athletics announced Tuesday that it will begin gradually restoring football scholarships to Penn State University, but other sanctions imposed in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse case will remain in effect.
The NCAA said the move was due to the university's continued progress toward ensuring athletics integrity.
The limit on initial football scholarships will be increased next year from 15 to 20 and the limit on total football scholarships will be increased from 65 to 75.
Additional scholarships will be restored in each of the following two years so that Penn State in 2016-2017 will be allowed to award 25 initial and 85 total scholarships, the NCAA limit for football.
The loss of scholarships were among the NCAA sanctions imposed against Penn State last year.
Penn State additionally agreed to a $60 million fine to help fund child abuse programs, a 4-year bowl ban, and the forfeiture of 112 football wins.
The NCAA said it may reconsider the postseason ban in the future depending upon Penn State's continued progress.
Sandusky, a former Penn State assistant football coach, was convicted in July 2012 of 45 counts of sexual abuse of 10 boys. He is serving a 30- to 60-year state prison sentence.