Woman charged in boyfriend's death appeared drunk, police say - abc27 WHTM

Woman charged in boyfriend's death appeared drunk, police say

Posted: Updated:
Esther Brubaker Esther Brubaker

A Mechanicsburg woman charged in a hit-and-run crash that killed her boyfriend appeared to be drunk when she was arrested Monday night, according to charging documents.

Esther Candace Brubaker, 36, smelled of alcohol, slurred her speech and had trouble balancing when she was taken into custody at an Annville bar, the criminal complaint states.

The bartender told police that Brubaker had entered the bar while talking on a cell phone, spoke for about 20 minutes and left the bar after finishing the call, but asked only for a pen and paper to write down a phone number and had nothing to drink at the bar that would explain her intoxication, the complaint states.

Investigators were awaiting the results of a blood-alcohol test.

Brubaker was arraigned Tuesday morning on charges of homicide by vehicle and accidents involving death or injury.

Her bail at Cumberland County Prison was set at $1 million, and a preliminary hearing was scheduled for Oct. 9.

According to Silver Spring Township police, Brubaker struck and killed 34-year-old Jeremy Anderson in front of their home at 108 Balfour Drive and fled the scene around 5:40 p.m.

Anderson died in the roadway at the end of the couple's driveway and had tire tracks on his body, police said.

A neighbor told investigators he heard people arguing and looked out of a window to see Brubaker's white Mercury minivan leaving the home with tires squealing before it hit something on the road that caused the front passenger side to come up in the air, the complaint states.

The neighbor said he then went outside and saw Anderson lying in the roadway.

Brubaker's nanny told police she had been babysitting Brubaker's two young children at the home while the couple was out for the afternoon, and saw the minivan traveling very fast as it turned into the driveway, the complaint states.

When the two didn't come inside, she said she went outside and found the minivan was gone and Anderson was lying in the roadway, according to the document.

Police said in the complaint that when they called Brubaker's cell phone around 6:15 p.m., she told them she was in Philadelphia and then hung up.

The officer called back and learned that Brubaker was driving, and asked whether Anderson was dead, the complaint states.

Cumberland County Coroner Charley Hall said an autopsy showed that Anderson died from blunt force injuries as a result of being struck by the vehicle.

Hall said the manner of death is pending the ongoing investigation.


Powered by WorldNow