Susquehanna Township School District superintendent Dr. Susan Kegerise says the notion that this year's incoming freshman class lost 100 students is unfounded. But it's not exactly 12 either -- that's the net number she reported at a packed board meeting last month, and it's left some parents questioning the district's enrollment figures altogether.
Bishop McDevitt mothers Cindy Hartman and Danielle Leibig showed abc27 News this week records from their former parent portals displaying full schedules for their kids at Susquehanna, even though they transferred out. They said they believed the district was being deceptive in regards to the numbers.
Kegerise responded Tuesday, saying that's not out of the ordinary.
"If there's a schedule on it, it meant that the schedule was on before they withdrew," Kegerise said. "It's really a dead end portal and that piece of software doesn't talk to our main student accounting."
Kegerise said parent portals are only accessible by parents, and have no connection to the statistics that go to the state. She said one year after a student leaves the district, their schedules are automatically wiped from the parent portals, but she will gladly remove the info sooner if that's what a parent wants.
She verified to abc27 that the children of Hartman and Leibig are listed as "withdrawn" from this year's official enrollment figures.
Kegerise also stated a total of 29 students left the Class of 2017 since graduating from eighth grade in June, saying that number is "normal" as compared to previous years.
Overall, Kegerise said she wants parents to know she's an open book when it comes to the numbers.
"I would like to talk to anyone who would like to come in and see how we do it," she said.