After responding to 14 Central Pennsylvania home fires within one week, the American Red Cross is offering tips to prevent a fire in your home.
The first precaution starts this weekend. Regional Chief Executive Officer Ellen Kyzer says to "replace the batteries in their smoke detectors this weekend, as we turn the clocks back."
Other fire safety tips:
- Keep flammable items at least three feet away from anything that gets hot, such as space heaters.
- Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Talk to your children regularly about the dangers of fire, matches and lighters and keep them out of reach.
- Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
- Talk with all household members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.