If your favorite childhood memory is of dunking chocolate sandwich cookies in a glass of cold milk, get ready to make some awesome new memories with a copycat recipe called Homemade Chocolate Sandwich Cookies.
Yields: 24 cookies
Cooking Time: 10 min
What You'll Need:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, make chocolate wafers by mixing together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Beat in 1 stick of butter and the egg until dough comes together. (You may have to use your hands.) Drop 48 rounded teaspoons of dough onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten dough with fingers.
3. Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until cookies look set. Let cool.
4. In a medium bowl, make cream filling by combining 1/2 stick of butter and the shortening. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until filling is fluffy. Place a teaspoon of filling onto center of one chocolate wafer and lightly press another chocolate wafer on top until cream comes to edge. Repeat with remaining wafers.
5. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
© 2013 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.