Quantcast

Visaggio's restaurant fire was accidental, police say - abc27 WHTM

Visaggio's restaurant fire was accidental, police say

Posted: Updated:
ENOLA, Pa. (WHTM) -

The fire that destroyed Visaggio's restaurant began in the ceiling of a woman's restroom and may have been caused by an exhaust fan, investigators said Tuesday.

Silver Spring Township police said the fire Sunday night, which has been ruled accidental, traveled up through the second floor of the landmark restaurant at 6990 Wertzville Road and spread into an attached hotel.

The five-alarm blaze brought firefighters from Dauphin, Perry and York counties when it began after 6 p.m. while the business was closed.

The barn that housed the restaurant sustained fire damage to the second floor and fire and water damage to the first floor. The kitchen area was also destroyed, and a banquet hall area in the back sustained smoke and water damage, according to fire officials.

Several apartments were also damaged, including two that had residents. The American Red Cross was assisting two people who were displaced.

The Lumadue/Visaggio family has said they will rebuild the 33-year-old restaurant, which has earned national acclaim over the years for its Italian cuisine.

 

Powered by WorldNow