Soldier charged in violent home invasion - abc27 WHTM

Soldier charged in violent home invasion

Posted: Updated:

Officials with NCIS made an arrest following an armed home invasion during which two teenagers were tied up using duct tape.

On Sunday morning at around 1:30 a.m., the Northern York County Regional Police Department received a call from state police in Carlisle concerning a home invasion that involved two teenaged victims.

The teenagers told authorities that they were watching television at around midnight at a home in the 100 block of Whiskey Springs Road in Franklin Township when they heard something outside.

They investigated, at which time four men wearing black clothing entered the home through the unlocked front door.

The assailants, who were armed with guns and baseball bats, used duct tape to tie up the teenagers by binding their hands and feet and covering their mouths and eyes.

The four men then stole assault rifles, other weapons, and ammunition from the home.

Neighbors just couldn't believe it.

"That's like an extreme case. That's certainly not something that would happen around here. You wouldn't imagine...I don't know what to say, it's just so out there," Stuart Keckler said.

One of the victims recognized the voice and eyes of one of the assailants as someone who had been to his home two weeks prior for a party. The victim said he showed the man, known as "Rico," his father's gun collection.

Investigators were able to identify "Rico" as 23-year-old Rico C. Holmes III, who is active duty in the United States Army at Walter Reed in Bethesda, Maryland.

Officials obtained an arrest warrant for Holmes that evening. Naval Criminal Investigative Services (NCIS) and the United States Army Criminal Investigative Command took Holmes into custody at the military base.

Holmes is being held by NCIS pending extradition to PA. He's facing numerous charges including robbery, criminal conspiracy to commit robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, criminal trespass and unlawful restraint of a minor.

Police believe the incident may be connected to another home invasion that occurred in nearby Franklintown Borough on the first block of South Baltimore Street early Sunday morning.

A man was shot during the incident and multiple suspects were involved, state police say.

The man's condition was not available Monday night. The York Dispatch reports that he was released from the hospital.

Powered by WorldNow