Quantcast

Stove used for heat blamed in Harrisburg fire - abc27 WHTM

Stove used for heat blamed in Harrisburg fire

Posted: Updated:
HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) -

An electric stove that was being used to heat a Harrisburg home started a fire early Tuesday that displaced four people, according to investigators.

Harrisburg Fire Chief Brian Enterline said two adults and two children who lived at 242 Hummel Street were alerted and saved by a working smoke detector after the fire started just after 6 a.m.

Responding firefighters found flames to the rear of the first floor and heavy smoke throughout the three-story wood frame building, but had the fire under control in about a half-hour, Enterline said.

He said the home sustained significant damage from heat and smoke. Damage to the building and contents was estimated at $35,000.

A firefighter was injured when he slipped and fell on ice. He was transported to Harrisburg Hospital for treatment.

The American Red Cross is assisting the residents with temporary housing and clothing.

 

Powered by WorldNow