Quantcast

One man dead after Ensley fire, Birmingham fire suspects space - abc27 WHTM

One man dead after Ensley fire, Birmingham fire suspects space heater

Posted: Updated:
An 89-year-old man died in an early-morning fire at this Ensley home, Thursday, January 16, 2014. (abc3340.com) An 89-year-old man died in an early-morning fire at this Ensley home, Thursday, January 16, 2014. (abc3340.com)
ENSLEY - AL -

"He was a nice man," Maria Wade said. "Real nice man."

Wade says her neighbor died too soon.

"He will be surely missed," she said. "He will be surely missed."

The victim's daughter, who did not want to talk on camera, identified her father as 89-year-old James Thomas Riley. He died early Thursday morning after his duplex apartment in Ensley caught fire. The daughter says she doesn't know what caused it, but Fire Chief C. W. Mardis, might.

"The victim had a gas space heater in his room of origin and that's what we're looking at right now as potentially a cause," he said.

And if that is the case it would be the third fire fatality due to space heaters in 2014 in the Birmingham area.

"It is aggravating," Lt. Bryan Harrell said. "It's disheartening."

Lt. Harrell says space heater fires are preventable.

"We want you to really pay attention," he said. "It could save your life."

He says look for laboratory approved items when buying space heaters. Also, keep the space heater clean with no loose wiring. And don't forget the "three-feet" rule: all the way around it make sure there are no clothes, drapes, curtains or anything that could catch fire.

It's also not a good idea for extension cords because they could spark. And, as always, Lt. Harrell says to keep space heaters out of bathrooms because of water.

Wade says the death of her neighbor is opening her eyes.

"It is a wake up call to us," she said. "Those heaters, stoves...we can't go to sleep with stuff left on. We got to be careful at all of this because, I mean, it causes major damage."

Chief Mardis also says he does not believe the victim's apartment had a working smoke detector.

  • Birmingham Area NewsMore>>

  • Children flee Pinson home as man breaks in Monday morning

    Children flee Pinson home as man breaks in Monday morning

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:44 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:44:31 GMT
    Around 11:30 Monday morning deputies responded to a report of a burglary in progress at a home in the 5200block of Highland Trace Circle in Pinson. A 14 year old girl and her 9 year old brother were home alone when a manthey did not know began breaking in to their house. They called their mother and she contacted the Sheriff's Office.The children ran from the home to a neighbor's residence.Deputies arrived to see 50 year old William Robert Thomas of Birmingham climbing out of a window. Upon s...More >>
    Around 11:30 Monday morning deputies responded to a report of a burglary in progress at a home in the 5200block of Highland Trace Circle in Pinson. A 14 year old girl and her 9 year old brother were home alone when a manthey did not know began breaking in to their house. They called their mother and she contacted the Sheriff's Office.The children ran from the home to a neighbor's residence.Deputies arrived to see 50 year old William Robert Thomas of Birmingham climbing out of a window. Upon s...More >>
  • Woman who was set on fire by boyfriend dies, detectives seeking capital murder charges

    Woman who was set on fire by boyfriend dies, detectives seeking capital murder charges

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:22 AM EDT2014-07-29 15:22:44 GMT
    The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office says 49 year old Deborah Diane Prater died early Tuesday morning. She's been hospitalized since Sunday with extensive burns. Her ex-boyfriend is accused of setting her on fire and may now face capital murder charges.More >>
    The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office says 49 year old Deborah Diane Prater died early Tuesday morning. She's been hospitalized since Sunday with extensive burns. Her ex-boyfriend is accused of setting her on fire and may now face capital murder charges.More >>
  • Homewood City Council denies hotel an extension to continue operating

    Homewood City Council denies hotel an extension to continue operating

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 9:11 AM EDT2014-07-29 13:11:45 GMT
    A Homewood hotel plagued by problems must close by the end of the week. City leaders considered an extension for America's Best Value Inn and Suites, but denied the request.More >>
    A Homewood hotel plagued by problems must close by the end of the week. City leaders considered an extension for America's Best Value Inn and Suites, but denied the request.More >>
Most Popular
Stories
Videos
loading...
Powered by WorldNow