2 firefighters injured at house fire near Brogue - abc27 WHTM

2 firefighters injured at house fire near Brogue

Posted: Updated:
Photo Courtesy: Christopher Spangler/York Fire Wire Photo Courtesy: Christopher Spangler/York Fire Wire

Two firefighters were injured while battling a York County house fire that displaced two people Friday morning.

The firefighters were transported to a hospital from the 2200 block of Jacobs Road in Chanceford Township, near the village of Brogue, after they fell through a floor of the fire-damaged home.

Both were treated for non-life threatening injuries.

"They fell through the floor and he happened to fall right into another firefighter, and they were able to get them outside," New Bridgeville Fire Chief Terry Snelbaker said.

Two people escaped with their pets when the four-alarm fire began in the attic of the 80-year-old house at around 8:30 a.m.

They stood outside in the cold, wrapped in blankets, as firefighters worked to save as much of the home as they could.

"We tried to use salvage covers to help protect the first floor, all the items in the first floor, to save what we could," Snelbaker said.

Terry Bacon, the owner, couldn't believe his childhood home went up in flames.

"I am sad," he said. "I am not mad or angry. I am upset, being sad. It's a lot of memories there."

The American Red Cross is providing food, shelter and clothing.

"They lost clothes, a lot of possessions. A lot of things were stored up in that attic they can't replace," said Travis Schell of the American Red Cross.

The cause of the fire was not immediately determined.


Powered by WorldNow