Enjoy bilini or potato pancakes with smoked salmon with this recipe from executive chef John Reis of Hilton Harrisburg.
Bilini with Smoked Salmon
Makes 18 buckwheat pancakes
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1 extra-large egg
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, clarified, divided
1/2 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
Fresh dill sprig, for garnish
1. Combine both flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and one tablespoon of the clarified butter, then whisk into the flour mixture.
3. Heat one tablespoon of the clarified butter in a medium saute pan and drop the batter into the hot skillet, one tablespoon at a time. Cook over medium-low heat until bubbles form on the top side of the bilini, about 2 minutes.
4. Flip and cook for one more minute, or until brown. Repeat with the remaining batter. (I clean the hot pan with a dry paper towel between batches.) Set aside.
5. To serve, top the bilini with a piece of smoked salmon. Add a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprig of dill. Also garnish with diced red onions, capers and enjoy with a glass of Champagne.
Potato Pancakes with Smoked Salmon
4 large potatoes
1 yellow onion
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Ground black pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
½ lb. smoked salmon
1. Finely grate potatoes with onion into a large bowl. Drain off any excess liquid.
2. Mix in egg, salt, and black pepper. Add enough flour to make mixture thick, about 2 to 4 tablespoons all together.
3. Turn oven to low, about 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
4. Heat 1/4 inch oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Drop two or three 1/4 cup mounds into hot oil, and flatten to make 1/2 inch thick pancakes. Fry, turning once, until golden brown.
5. Transfer to paper towel lined plates to drain, and keep warm in low oven until serving time. Repeat until all potato mixture is used.