Seared Ahi Tuna Tacos: Seasoned Tuna Steaks with Fresh Pico de Gallo
By: Chef Kyle Mason of Appalachian Brewing Company on 3/7/14
Seasoned Tuna Steaks
• 1 tablespoon ground coriander
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 2 4oz fresh yellowfin tuna steaks
• 3- 6" soft tortilla shells
• 6oz shredded green & napa cabbage
• avocado half
In a small bowl combine the coriander, cumin, chili powder, pepper, and salt. Brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil evenly over both sides of the tuna fillets. Sprinkle both sides of each tuna steak with the coriander mixture, gently rubbing the seasonings into the meat.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the tuna steaks to the hot oil and sear 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. Remove the tuna from the pan and set aside.
Heat flour tortilla shells up in oven or microwave. Place 2oz of shredded cabbage in each tortilla shell. Carefully dice the tuna and place in tortilla shells. Top with fresh pico de gallo and fresh avocado slice.
Fresh Pico de Gallo
• 3 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
• 1/2 small red onion, thickly sliced
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
• 1/2 jalapeño pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a medium size bowl combine all ingredients and gently mix until well incorporated.