Quantcast

Alabama OT Kouandjio at Pro Day: 'There's nothing wrong with my - abc27 WHTM

Alabama OT Kouandjio at Pro Day: 'There's nothing wrong with my knee'

Posted: Updated:
Cyrus Kouandjio runs drills for NFL scouts during Pro Day at the University of Alabama on Wednesday, Mar. 12, 2014, in Tuscaloosa, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill) CJ Mosley    CJ Cyrus Kouandjio runs drills for NFL scouts during Pro Day at the University of Alabama on Wednesday, Mar. 12, 2014, in Tuscaloosa, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill) CJ Mosley CJ

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Former Alabama left tackle Cyrus Kouandjio says his surgically repaired knee shouldn't be a red flag for NFL teams.

The potential first-round draft pick said Wednesday after the Crimson Tide's pro day that he's heard only from media reports that six teams didn't clear him because of concerns over his left knee.

Kouandjio said his agent, Bus Cook, called him the night of the combine asking if there was anything wrong with the knee.

"I was completely confused. I said, 'No, there's nothing wrong with my knee,'" Kouandjio said. "I thought he was joking. But he kept asking. I was surprised. I was like, 'There's nothing wrong with my knee. Is there a rumor out there?'

"And he said, 'Yeah, a couple of media things came out that there was something wrong with your knee.' It was interesting, but I never worried about it because I know and the film will tell you there's nothing wrong with my knee."

NFL scouts and coaches — including Cincinnati's Marvin Lewis, New Orleans' Sean Payton and Philadelphia's Chip Kelly — and several general managers were on hand to see Tide prospects go through workouts including Kouandjio, linebacker C.J. Mosley, safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and quarterback AJ McCarron.

Like Kouandjio, the more high-profile prospects mostly stuck to their combine numbers.

The lineman, who entered the draft after his junior season, sustained torn ligaments in his knee after playing in eight games as a freshman in 2011. He started every game the past two seasons, and both he and Tide coach Nick Saban said he didn't miss a practice because of knee problems.

Kouandjio's stock has slipped from the first round in mock drafts since the NFL combine. The 6-foot-7, 311-pounder said he's not fretting over either potentially dropping past the first round or questions about his knee.

"I'm not the type of guy to get frustrated over matters that are out of my control," said Kouandjio, who had dropped 11 pounds since the combine. "All of these coaches know that there's nothing wrong with my knee. I played two years. The fourth month after my knee surgery I was out there playing until now. I didn't miss a practice. I haven't missed a game because of my knee. All the guys out here, all the coaches know that. It didn't bother me one bit."

He worked in position drills on Wednesday while letting his combine performance stand.

Saban, a former Miami Dolphins coach and NFL assistant, said he thinks Kouandjio is a first-round talent and questioned the accuracy — or at least the wording — of reports that he failed physicals.

"The teams we talked to, I can't find anybody that failed the guy on a physical," Saban said. "If you don't understand how people grade players in terms of NFL medical grades, it's not pass-fail. There are usually five categories that a guy falls in, and if you don't understand it you shouldn't be writing about it, because he didn't really fail."

Projected first-rounders Mosley and Clinton-Dix have faced fewer questions.

Mosley, a two-time Associated Press All-American, opted to run the 40 at pro day instead of the combine because of a sore hip and knee.

"It's all about making the right decision and I feel like I made a good decision to wait and work out here," he said.

The 6-foot-2, 234-pounder grew into an every-down player by his senior season in both pass and run situations after platooning with run-stopper Nico Johnson, and believes he can fill both roles quickly in the NFL.

"It all depends on how I fit into a system," Mosley said. "Just like at Alabama, I made some mistakes working my way up to that role. The faster I learn the system, the faster I learn the playbook, the faster (coaches) can trust me on the field, the more playing time I'll get."

McCarron, who also threw at the combine, went through a scripted series of passes with ex-teammates Kevin Norwood, Kenny Bell and Marquis Maze.

"I've been hearing everything about arm strength and deep outs and comebacks," he said. "I feel like I should silence all that. I threw it deep early in the workout and I threw it deep late. I felt like it was a real good day."

• Central Alabama NewsMore>>

Justin Bieber arrested on assault, dangerous driving charges, according to Ontario police

Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:42 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:42:52 GMT
    Canadian pop star Justin Bieber faces new charges after police said Tuesday he was arrested for dangerous driving and assault following a collision between a minivan and an ATV that led to a physical altercation in southwestern Ontario.More >>
    More >>

Video appears to show beheading of US journalist Steven Sotloff by ISIS

Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:26 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:26:17 GMT
    An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group.More >>
    More >>

Halliburton reaches $1.1Billion oil spill settlement

Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:11 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:11:01 GMT
    Halliburton says it has agreed to pay $1.1 billion to settle a substantial portion of plaintiff claims arising from the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The settlement, which is subject to court approval, will be paid into a trust until appeals are resolved over the next two years.More >>
    More >>
  • Anniston - Gadsden Area NewsMore>>

Clean out your cabinets for Drug Take-Back Day

Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:38 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:38:07 GMT
    Do you have a drawer or cabinet of medicines? Are any of them out of date? Now is the time to check because you can safely dispose of the medications at the Etowah County Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. It is part of a nationwide effort. The event will be Saturday, September 27. A take-back station will be set up at the East Gadsden Walmart from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.A law enforcement officer will remain with the drug disposal box at all times, and the drugs that are turned in will be tr...More >>

Arrest made in large level extortion scheme

Friday, August 29 2014 12:45 PM EDT2014-08-29 16:45:16 GMT
    "Everett Leon Stout, 72 and Miriam Clair Schultz, 67 are charged with 14 counts of extortion.More >>

Gadsden police recover more than 300 stolen items; felony charges against suspected fence

Thursday, August 28 2014 11:22 PM EDT2014-08-29 03:22:34 GMT
    Joe Walker Pearl (Photo: Etowah County Sheriff's Office)Joe Walker Pearl (Photo: Etowah County Sheriff's Office)
    Police in Gadsden are trying to return hundreds of stolen items to their rightful owners. Captain Paul Cody said officers bust a large fencing operation this week. Joe Pearl, 75, is the suspect in the case. It took a long time to sort through and document a very wide range of stolen property. "We've collected a lot of stuff," Cody said. "Toilet paper. We have non-firearms related weapons, we have karaoke machines, musical instruments, car stereos, underwear."More >>
  • UAB SportsMore>>

UAB cruises to 48-10 win over Troy in season opener

Saturday, August 30 2014 10:29 PM EDT2014-08-31 02:29:34 GMT
    Cody Clements passed for two touchdowns and ran for another, while Jordan Howard rushed for two more in helping the University of Alabama-Birmingham beat Troy University 48-10 on Saturday.More >>
    More >>

Fans ready for start of football season

Thursday, August 28 2014 7:45 AM EDT2014-08-28 11:45:46 GMT
    For some people, tonight is just as exciting as Christmas Eve! Thursday kicks off the college football season. Many fans have been counting down the days.More >>
    More >>

UAB names Cody Clements starting quarterback vs Troy

Tuesday, August 26 2014 3:13 PM EDT2014-08-26 19:13:29 GMT
    UAB will open the season with Cody Clements at quarterback. Clements, a junior college transfer from Cerritos College in California, beat out redshirt freshman Jeremiah Briscoe for the starting job.More >>