Hot Cross Buns are one sweet Easter tradition. This easy recipe for baking your own bakery-style Cranberry Hot Cross Buns is a twist on the traditional raisin variety, and guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
What You'll Need:
18 frozen dinner roll dough balls, thawed but still cold (see Notes)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
What To Do:
1. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Using your fingers, press each dough ball into a flat circle, about 2 inches wide. Place a heaping teaspoon of cranberries in center of dough circle; bring edges together and pinch tightly to close. Shape into a round roll and place on baking sheet; repeat with remaining dough. Cover rolls with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove wrap from rolls.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden; let cool.
5. In a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients until smooth. Spoon into a small resealable plastic bag. Cut a small corner off bag and make a cross with glaze on each bun. Let glaze harden then serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
Note: If you can't find this dough in your supermarket freezer case, you can use 2 (1-pound) packages frozen bread dough; just thaw and cut each into 9 pieces.
© 2013 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.