Quantcast

One man dies in house fire - abc27 WHTM

One man dies in house fire

Posted: Updated:
UPDATE: 4/21/14

One man is now dead after a house fire in the Brown Springs community. Firefighters say 67 year old William Lee Davis died of smoke inhalation late Sunday night.

Investigators say the fire is still under examination, but we do know that food was left on the stove while the victim was asleep.

ABC 33/40 was on the crew on the scene Sunday while firefighters worked to put the fire out. "When they bought him out there last night, I figured he had passed away,” says next door neighbor Lorenz Benefield. Benefield saw his next door neighbor’s house go up in flames. "It was just coming out in balls of fire."

Davis, his daughter and son-in-law were trapped inside.

"They did have burglar bars on the doors, that made it a little tedious, we had to make a forcible entry to get inside,” says Birmingham Battalion Chief C.W. Mardis.

The daughter and son-in-law were taken to Trinity hospital with non-life threatening injuries, but Davis died on the scene.

Mardis says food was left on the stove and caught fire. The daughter tried to put it out with an extinguisher, and then attempted to pour water on the fire which caused it to get out of hand.

"If it's a small enough fire just put the lid on top of it and try to smother it out,” says Mardis.

Here are a few cooking fire life saving tips

            -Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home. Test smoke alarm batteries every month and change them at least once a year.

            -Have an “Exit drill” plan in case of a fire or another emergency.

            -Never leave unattended cooking or food on the stove. Fires can start in just seconds.

            -Always wear short, tight-fitting sleeves when cooking.

            -Keep towels, pot-holders and curtains away from flames and heating elements.

            -Clean cooking surfaces regularly to prevent grease buildup which can ignite.

            -If a fire breaks out while cooking, put a lid on the pan to smother it. Never throw water on a grease fire.

            -Use extra caution when preparing deep-fried foods. Heat oil gradually to avoid burns from spattering grease.

            -Never use the range or oven to heat your home.

            -Double check the kitchen before you go to bed or leave the house. Make sure all small appliances are turned off.

            -Keep a fire extinguisher accessible in the event of fire.

----------

Birmingham fire fighters had to rescue two people from a burning house this evening. The fire had engulfed a house at 7344 Paris Ave. about 9 P.M.
One person has been transported to the hospital while a second person was treated at the scene. ABC 33/40 has a crew on scene and will have more information as it becomes available.
Most Popular
Stories
Videos
loading...
Powered by WorldNow