The death of an Enola man found in the Swatara Creek a week after he went missing from a party last month has been ruled an accidental drowning, and the drowning resulted from the multiple drugs he had in his system, Dauphin County Coroner Graham Hetrick said Wednesday.
Hetrick said toxicology tests revealed 21-year-old Maxwell Duesterhoeft had alcohol and marijuana and his system, as well as DMAA - a drug that causes an increased heart rate and elevated blood pressure, and is sold over the Internet as a dietary supplement.
Toxicology tests also showed Duesterhoeft had taken MDPV, a stimulant marketed as a "bath salt" that has been found to cause hallucinations, paranoia, risk-taking behavior, reduced inhibitions and hyperthermia - which causes those who take the drug to feel warm or hot, Hetrick said.
Hetrick said he released the findings because he wanted to make people aware that bath salts and dietary supplements, especially those with DMAA and MDPV, are being used consistently by young people.
Duesterhoeft's body was found March 28 in East Hanover Township, Dauphin County, about a mile from where he was last seen during a party off Pine Road in East Hanover Township, Lebanon County the morning of March 23.
Police said Duesterhoeft removed his shoes, walked away from the party and went into the creek sometime between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m.