Quantcast

Health officials warn of caffeine powder risks following teen’s - abc27 WHTM

Health officials warn of caffeine powder risks following teen’s death

Posted: Updated:
 LAGRANGE, Ohio (AP) - A northern Ohio coroner says he was perplexed by a healthy high school student's death until testing of a white powdery substance found at his home came back as caffeine.

Logan Stiner was a senior at Keystone High School in LaGrange, southwest of Cleveland. He died suddenly at home on May 27, a week before his graduation.

Lorain County coroner Stephen Evans says the powder caused the 18-year-old Stiner to have a cardiac arrhythmia and a seizure, which killed him. Evans says an autopsy last week showed the teenager had a lethal amount of caffeine in his blood.

The coroner says Stiner had more than 70 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of blood in his system. He says a typical coffee drinker would have 3 to 5 micrograms.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by WorldNow