Job expos help veterans find work

Return The Favor

The national veteran unemployment rate is 3.8 percent. Here in Pennsylvania, businesses are doing their part to help those who served our country — with special veteran job expos.     

“I feel it was a really good opportunity to come out and get myself out there and look for some additional employment,” said Jason Linzy.

Linzy is an Army veteran. He spent time serving in Kuwait. He’s recently unemployed and looking for a job. Armed with a stack of resumes, he checked out a veteran job fair at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg.

Dozens of businesses were on hand, including The Middletown Home. The nonprofit organization runs a continuing care facility for the elderly. The head of human relations, Danielle Alvarez, calls the expo a success. She handed out dozens of applications. She says when veterans get these types of opportunities, everyone wins.

“Those are our forgotten heroes,” said Alvarez, “People who have worked all their lives and people who have served our country need our help. We can use their guidance for our future.”

“It was really nice to be thanked for my service,” said Linzy, “To get in here and have people understand the background that I’m coming from, and what I can offer to a current employer.”

Linzy says he expects to hear back from someone soon, and maybe even land a job. He does hope more local companies take part in veterans job fairs in the future. 

If you’re a veteran looking for work, there’s a veterans expo and job fair coming up Thursday, Nov. 1 in Lancaster.

For more details, go to http://www.veteransexpo.com/?utm_source=jobfairsin.com

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos

More Local

Don't Miss