Something Good: Kids create bowls to put food on tables

Something Good

Students in Bethany Simcoe’s classroom at Good Shepherd Catholic School were on a mission, creating bowls for the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank’s “Soup and A Bowl” event.

“We made bowls to raise money for the food bank,” seventh-grader Mia Arguelles said.

The project started the first day of the school year.

“We think it is really important to serve others,” Simcoe said.

The students handmade dozens of bowls.

“I used the colors around the room because we learned a few years ago color schemes,” Samantha McAuliffe said.

We do this with sixth, seventh and eighth grade to see the progress each year. Their skill is getting a little better. They are mindful of things,” Simcoe said.

Olivia Hippensteel described the bowl-making process.

“Sometimes, we make coils and we cut off a slab of clay and just, like, wrap it around,” she said.

The students hope you will check out their bowls on February 11 when the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank holds its “Soup and a Bowl” fundraising event at the Radisson in Camp Hill. The cost is $30 dollars in advance and gets you soup, bread, sweet treats and one of the 600 bowls donated by potters, volunteers, and schools.

“Actually, 60 percent of the families that we serve are working families with children, so they’re going to work but they might not have enough money to make ends meet,” said Jennifer Sands, of the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank.

“It makes me feel good because we are helping the community,” student Lilly Ridd said. “People right around us sometimes don’t have the opportunity to eat as much as we do or even get food, so it made me feel nice because we got to make these bowls for them.”

The food bank hopes to raise $25,000 with the event. One dollar provides six meals to those in need.

To buy a ticket, visit the food bank’s website.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss