Department of Agriculture inspectors found problems with food storage and preparation area during food safety inspections this week.
Eighth Street Exxon on Walnut Street in Lebanon was out of compliance with 11 violations The inspection report says the metal scoop for the ice machine was rusting and needed to be replaced, the inside of the ice machine was dirty, open hot dogs in the walk-in were not covered or date marked, and chemicals were being stored with or over food. The self-service hot dogs did not have a sneeze guard, and food was stored directly on the floor in the walk-in freezer, rather than six inches off as required.
Royal Farms on Hellam Street in Wrightsville was out of compliance with 11 violations. The inspector found a light bulb lying on the countertop in the food prep area, trays at the customer service counter were not clean, and dried, crusted potato debris was found on the wall mounted potato cutter. The sanitizing solution for wiping cloths was not strong enough, and the water for the dishwasher was not getting hot enough. The water reached only 55 degrees; 110 degrees is required to properly clean dishes. Also, many surfaces in the food prep area were coated with grease, and the inspector noted management failed in their duties “on all levels,” the report states.
Places with no violations included The Winner’s Circle Lounge in Hanover, Dill’s Tavern in Dillsburg, Two Brothers Pizzeria in Shermans Dale, and Mr. Bill’s Seafood in Lancaster.