HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) — A Harrisburg man was charged with kidnapping of a minor after a two-year-old girl was held hostage for several hours on Tuesday, causing a standoff with police, according to the Dauphin County District Attorney’s Office.

Antonio Hammond is being charged with kidnapping of a minor, burglary, aggravated assault, criminal trespassing, and related firearms charges, the DA’s office says.

The DA’s office says Hammond violated his parole on Feb. 23, 2023, and that the Fugitive Task Force had been looking for him since then.

Harrisburg Police say officers spotted a man wearing dark clothing and a mask and approached him. The district attorney’s office says Hammond allegedly ran from police and pointed a handgun at officers before entering a stranger’s home at Hall Manor.

“Officers saw him, recognized him, and tried to apprehend him. He fled, turned, pointing a firearm at the officers and then went into an apartment in Hall Manor, people he didn’t know and took a hostage of a two-year-old child,” said Dauphin County District Attorney Fran Chardo.

Once inside, the district attorney’s office Hammond barricaded himself and took the child hostage for approximately six hours. Others who were in the home were able to escape.

The Dauphin County Crisis Response Team (CRT), a county police tactical squad, and local police all responded to the hostage standoff.

The DA’s office also alleged that Hammond pointed a handgun at the toddler “repeatedly.”

“They’re conducting surveillance the entire time and looking for an opportunity when he does not have the gun on the child,” Chardo added.

When the CRT team went into the apartment to save the two-year-old, Hammond allegedly pointed his pistol at the officers and attempted to fire before he was shot in the head by a tactical team member.

“When they did so [entered the apartment], the suspect turned the gun on the entering officers and tried to fire, and that’s when they had to shoot him,” Chardo said.

Paramedics on the scene immediately started to care for Hammond before he was taken to a local hospital.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Hammond is still in the hospital receiving treatment.

Get traffic alerts from the abc27 mobile app for the latest local delays and road closures

Hammond’s sister, Kiana Mitchell, spoke with abc27 about her brother.

“There’s my baby brother, Antonio Hammond, and that’s my daughter, with her uncle,” she said while sharing a picture. “Right now he’s in critical condition, but stable. He’s still basically fighting for his life. Cause he yelled out to them, he told them he was unarmed. He had the baby in one arm, and he was basically about to hand the baby to them.”

Mitchell also said she would accept law enforcement officials’ description of the standoff if video footage is released.