WASHINGTON BORO, Pa. (WHTM) — According to the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, it was found that a propane heater on the boat caused the boat explosion that took place on March 17 in Lancaster County.
One man was injured after the boat explosion occurred in Washington Boro, Lancaster County during the evening hours of Friday, March 17.
According to officials with the Blue Rock Fire Rescue Station 907, the explosion occurred around 10:30 p.m. on the Susquehanna River along Water Street in Washington Boro.
Crews were able to extinguish the fire and set up an area to help soak up any remaining fuel from floating downstream. Crews were on the scene for between two and a half to three hours, according to officials.
A 54-year-old man who was living on the boat suffered burns from the explosion and was transported to a local hospital for his injuries, according to Blue Rock Fire Rescue. He has since been released from the hospital.
The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission says that it is still unclear as to why the heater exploded on the boat.