LANCASTER, Pa. (WHTM) – Officials in Lancaster have lifted the shelter-in-place order after an ammonia leak occurred in the 600 block of Manor Street at Kunzler Meat Company in Lancaster on Sunday, March 12.

According to HazMat 2 Environmental Fire Rescue Company, the area affected involved those within half a mile of Kunzler Meats on Manor Street. The call regarding the incident was received around 7:30 a.m. on Sunday morning when residents near the scene smelled an odor of ammonia.

The shelter-in-place was due to an ammonia leak inside the building. The street was shut down for the safety of the first responders on the scene and has since been reopened. The ammonia leak has been isolated and contained according to Chief Benjamin Herskowitz of Hazmat 2 Environmental Rescue.

Crews were able to contain the leak around 11:49 a.m., according to Chief Herskowitz.

The shelter-in-place was lifted at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday. Chief Herskowitz also stated that residents may still smell brief instances of an ammonia smell but that it is not harmful to the public. Based on air monitoring, at no time was the public in any danger, but the shelter-in-place was out of an abundance of caution.

No injuries were reported due to the incident.