YORK, Pa. (WHTM) — An early morning fire occurred in York on Tuesday, April 11.

Officials say the fire occurred in the 400 block of North George Street. Crews were called to the area just before 7:30 a.m.

York City Fire Chief William Sleeger told abc27 news that when crews arrived on the scene, they saw heavy fire coming from the rear of the building.

Get severe weather alerts with newsletters and push alerts from the abc27 Weather Team!

The fire, according to Chief Sleeger was electrical in nature and was started by rechargeable batteries for small tools. Sleeger states that this is a trend they have been seeing when it comes to small rechargeable batteries starting fires.

“With rechargeable batteries, you need to store them outside. We are finding that the cheaper made ones start fires a lot quicker and a lot sooner. It is a high-intensity volume of fire and flame. Just keep them outside and keep an eye on them,” Chief Sleeger said.

Fire crews were on the scene for hours trying to put the fire out. Chief Sleeger states that four people were displaced because of the fire, and the fire caused $175,000 worth of damage to the home.