A York woman is headed to trial on charges she endangered her 2-year-old son by leaving him with a man now accused of killing the boy.

Leah L. Mullinix, 22, waived her right to a preliminary hearing before a district judge on Thursday. A formal arraignment in York County Court is scheduled for March 1.

Mullinix, who had been jailed since her arrest January 3, was released after Magisterial District Judge Ronald Haskell changed her $10,000 bail from cash to unsecured.

She is charged with a felony count of endangering the welfare of a child.

Mullinix knew Tyree Bowie, her paramour, for only two or three weeks when she left her son in his care on the night of September 6, police said in charging documents.

Bowie, 39, is charged with homicide and child endangerment in the death of Dante Mullinix.

In the criminal complaint, police said Leah Mullinix also failed to provide proper medical care for her child.

On August 31, Dante was treated at a hospital for penile swelling and ulcers believed to be consistent with balanitis, a very painful condition. Mullinix told hospital staff that her son had been suffering from the condition for four days, but the staff told police it could have been longer.

Mullinix was given a prescription for medication and ointment that she failed to fill until child protection workers forced her to do so on September 2, the complaint states. She and her son were staying at a shelter, and the staff had filed a child abuse report because the boy had been screaming in pain for two days.

After the prescription was filled, the staff at the shelter had to instruct Mullinix on how to use the medication and even administer it themselves, police said in the complaint.

Police say Bowie was the only person watching Dante when the boy stopped breathing. He took the unresponsive boy to a hospital but fled immediately after turning him over to the staff.

When he was interviewed by detectives, Bowie said he fed the boy animal crackers while driving then noticed the boy wasn’t breathing. Police said they found no animal crackers when they searched Bowie’s vehicle.

Mullinix died at a hospital nine days later. His death was ruled a homicide after an autopsy found he died from a traumatic brain injury accompanied by strangulation and suffocation.