SUMMERDALE, Pa. (WHTM) – A classroom building at Central Penn College was briefly evacuated Tuesday morning after staff members complained of headaches.
Public Safety Director Ronald Amoriella said about three staffers in one part of the Advanced Technology Education Center complained of headaches around 9 a.m., about an hour after they arrived for work.
Students and staff were evacuated as a precaution while the East Pennsboro Fire Department checked for a potential carbon monoxide leak. Nothing harmful was found in the air.
“We believe last night was the first night that the heat turned on in the building due to the temperature, which could have caused some burn-off or some dust due to the temperature or things in the ventilation system, but we don’t know if that’s the cause or not,” Amoriella said.
An EMS crew checked out the staff members who complained of headaches. One was taken to a hospital after complaining of chest pain.
Students returned to the building around 11:30 a.m.