Hershey & Wilkes-Barre tied for 1st after 6-5 OT loss

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 12.45.10 AM_303047

HERSHEY, Pa. – Zach Sill and Ryan Stanton opened up a third-period lead for the Hershey Bears, but the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins scored three unanswered goals capped off by Will O’Neill’s overtime winner in a 6-5 decision in front of a sold-out crowd of 10,985 at GIANT Center on Sunday evening.

Not many people knew that the Penguins grabbed the game’s first goal just 1:51 into the contest.  But after video review, Kael Mouillierat’s lacrosse-style wraparound from behind the Hershey net just clipped the netting under the crossbar behind Justin Peters for the 1-0 advantage.

Hershey answered right back, when Madison Bowey picked up a pass from Nathan Walker, headed down the slot and ripped a wrist shot under the right arm of Tristan Jarry at 4:09.

The Bears then took the lead when Sean Collins redirected a point shot from Christian Djoos behind Jarry at 10:05.

In the second, Dustin Jeffrey knotted the score by banging in a puck poked to him by Adam Krause.  Shortly afterward, a brawl ensued behind the Hershey net that gave the Bears several power play opportunities.  Jakub Vrana put the Bears back in front with a deflection of a shot from Travis Boyd, cutting through the slot and tipping the puck home at 16:57.

The Bears had a chance to open up a bigger lead with more power play time, but Krause would muscle his way to the net with the puck on his backhand and lift a shot over Peters at 18:26 for the shorthanded equalizer.

Two quick strikes by Stanton and Sill in a span of 32 seconds would then put the Bears on top 5-3.  Stanton’s shot beat Jarry short-side at 3:15, while Sill carried the puck down the left wing and slipped a shot off of Jarry’s pad and over the line at 3:47.

But at 5:02, Jean-Sebastien Dea deflected a shot from Tom Sestito over Peters’ shoulder, cutting the Penguins’ deficit to one.

Tom Kostopoulos then tied the game, grabbing a puck that deflected off of two posts and slamming it home at 13:59.

In overtime, Kostopoulos took a shot from in close that also banked off of the right post.  The puck came right to O’Neill for the put-back at 3:07.

Peters stopped 25 of 31 shots and fell to 13-9-6.  Jarry stopped 22 of 27 shots and improved to 14-9-3.

The teams are now even in points (81) and point percentage (.633) at the top of the division.

The Bears head to Allentown for the final time this season for a matchup with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Wednesday, March 23.  Face-off from the PPL Center is set for 7:05 PM.  Fans may catch the broadcast beginning at 6:25 PM on the Bears Radio Network of affiliates WQIC-FM 100.1, WTKT-AM 1460, WOYK-AM 1350, via the Capitals Mobile App (Caps Radio 24/7) or the iHeartRadio App (Fox Sports 1460 Harrisburg), and online at CapsRadio247.com or FoxSports1460.com.  Fans may watch the games for a small fee at AHLLive.com.

Hershey returns home to face the Albany Devils on Saturday, March 26 at 7:00 PM.  Fans are invited to arrive early for a special pre-game ceremony to honor retiring Hershey BearsPresident/General Manager Doug Yingst.  The first 5,000 fans will receive a commemorative bobblehead figurine featuring Yingst.

Individual tickets are available at the GIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR or online at TicketMaster.com.

NOTES: Chris Bourque added two more assists to maintain the AHL scoring lead (26-42-68)…The Bears scratched LW Paul Carey, RW Kevin Elgestal, RW Dustin Gazley, RW Caleb Herbert, D Mike Moore and D Jonas Siegenthaler…The Penguins scratched D Niclas Andersen, C Tyler Biggs, RW Sahir Gill, RW Ty Loney, D Harrison Ruopp and LW Dominik Uher.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos

More Local

Don't Miss