Harrisburg, PA (May 9, 2016) – City Islanders FC fell to the Charleston Battery in a 3-2 match that ended with City failing to get the equalizing goal on a penalty kick in stoppage time at home on Monday night.

Brett Jankouskas, who came in just minutes prior, was pulled down from behind as he was making a dangerous run into Charleston territory. City was awarded a penalty kick with minutes remaining in stoppage time.

The Isles tagged goalscorer Craig Foster with the task of fooling Charleston’s keeper to extend their home unbeaten streak to three games. He stepped to the spot, but fired the shot hard over the crossbar. The match was called shortly after.

The first 20 minutes of play was back and forth with very little in the way of an advantage for either team. Charleston was able to get the first shot on net in the first few minutes, but both teams settles down and play was confined to midfield.

Charleston’s first goal in the 23rd minute came off of a high arching pass from Maikel Chang that landed in front of Romario Williams. Williams made a move to settle the ball and get a chip shot over the right shoulder of Islanders keeper Nick Noble.

City wasted no time however in getting the equalizer. Just three minutes later Jose Barril sent a ball across the box through the legs of several Charleston defenders to the feet of Paul Wilson. After a quick move to settle the ball at his feet, Wilson bounced a shot just under the outstretched hands of Battery keeper Odisnel Cooper.

Play between the clubs ramped up after the opening goals. The game became more physical with both teams being shown a card in the final twenty minutes of the half. City’s yellow card, which was given to James Thomas, gave the Battery a free kick in a dangerous position.

Charleston’s Shawn Ferguson took the free kick from just inches outside of the box. Forrest Lasso got his head on the kick and snuck it just passed Noble to put the Battery up 2-1.

Again, City responded and went on the attack to attempt to get the tying goal before the end of the first 45 minutes. Both Bobby Warshaw and Danny Diprima had quality chances to get the score knotted up. Warshaw’s shot lacked the necessary pace to get passed Cooper and DiPrima beat the goalie but missed the target by inches.

The connection of Barril to Wilson worked once again to tally the tying goal less than ten minutes into the second half. Barril served up a pass from sideline to sideline to Wilson, who calmly gathered the ball a few feet from the penalty area with the Charleston goaltender running out to challenge him. Wilson chipped a high shot over Cooper and right into the net for his second goal of the night and his third of the season.

City fell victim to another late goal when Austin Savage flew by the Islanders’ defense on a free kick to drive home the winning goal in the 80th minute. It is the third game at home that the Islanders have given up a goal in the 80th minute or later.

The Battery and Isles will meet up again in Charleston June 18 at 7 p.m. in MUSC Health Stadium.

This will be the last game for the Islanders for almost two weeks. They will take the field in Lancaster at Clipper Magazine Stadium on Saturday, May 22 at 6 p.m. when they take on in-state rivals Bethelehem Steel FC for the first time in team history. They will follow that game up with a quick turnaround again in Lancaster against Toronto FC on Tuesday, May 24 at 7 p.m.